We pride ourselves on our distinctly modern-organic portfolio, and unwavering commitment to quality. With chic projects across the Western provinces, our team helps businesses and savvy homeowners who are ready to build, renovate, expand, or relocate.
The design-build process is complex, but it doesn’t have to be hard when someone else is leading you through it with competence and expertise. And when we’re involved, you know you’re in the best of hands. Over 15 years of experience has taught us these basic fundamentals are the key to getting a project done right…
Planning, Design Programming, Preparation, Communication 0
RESIDENTIAL / COMMERCIAL / HOSPITALITY / RESTAURANT / RETAIL
Is this for you?
Ideal for the client who is ready to remodel, renovate or begin a new build, and is considering a collaboration with Urban Theory Design.
During our 60 minute scope of work consult, we will touch on items like timelines, project budget + scope, necessary trades, return on investment, and project management to determine the feasibility of working together and taking on your project.
This is a Discovery Meeting, where you are able to meet and get to know your Designer/design team (in-person or via Skype), discuss the parameters of your project, budget, and scope… this is not a working design meeting, and does not include suggestion or selection of materials, overall finishes, layouts/floor plans, custom features, or furnishings + decorating ideas. *Subject to schedule availability/project feasibility.
Fee: $225 + GST – will be applied against design fees once a formal project has been initiated
*Please consider our minimum project design fee is $5,000 ex: small-scope, one room remodel, decorating packages, etc.
Is this for you?
Perfect for the DIY client where a one time, on-site visit can solve design dilemmas, offer objective opinions + expertise, and provide direction and project momentum. Ideal for the client that is orchestrating their own project, and will be moving forward on their own without a design team post-consult.
The DIY Consultation is for the client that can greatly benefit from up to 90 minutes of uninterrupted constructive time with a design pro, has the majority of their samples + materials pre-selected/picked up and laid out for review, and loads of sketches + inspiration images, furnishings + decor ideas narrowed down and ready to discuss.
Get the most out of your consult by preparing in advance all of your questions, samples + finishes, design ideas, and inspiration images… take notes, snap pics, and document the final selections and recommendations made by your Urban Theory Designer the day of your meeting.
Fee: $550 + GST – receipt of payment in advance of your consult date is confirmation of your consult, and is non-refundable
Is this for you?
If you’re looking to simplify the design/build process, save money, make faster decisions, and sleep better at night knowing you’ve got a second set of eyes on your project, the “Designer on call” service is meant for you. Clients closely working with a builder or contractor, but still wanting the benefits of having a design team nearby for occasional support love the flexibility this service provides.
We offer blocks of 10-hour design time to use when it’s most beneficial to you, on an as-needed and on-going basis: planning, reviewing design drawings, quick responses and input while you’re sourcing items, help finding unique fixtures and furnishings, reviewing kitchen design and finishes, guidance and assistance with finishing touches and styling… the list goes on.
“Designer on call” is for clients requiring sporadic consulting service – it is not for those needing more than casual input and assistance, full-time Designer involvement, full scale or technical drawings, or project coordination.
Fee: $1,700 + GST – 10 HOURS
1. Following an initial Discovery Meeting, we’ll develop a scope of services, and iron out all the details to avoid any major surprises. We want to make sure we’re all on the same page and ready to undertake a rewarding project.
2. Proposal & Contract – At this step we’ll present you with a detailed and clear design fee proposal outlining the project scope, key milestones + deliverables, fees/billing schedule, and a copy of our contract. Sign off with initial payment, and we’re both ready to begin.
3. Design Programming & Planning – It all starts with a concept – or series of concepts – a cornerstone theory that informs all decisions big and small, and guides us throughout the entire project.
4. Drawings, Renderings & Samples – We will present our design ideas using CAD layouts and floor plans, detailed elevations, 3D digital conceptual images, and material samples and finishes. During this exciting point in your project you will be able to visualize and FEEL the finished result before construction even begins.
5. Design Documents – At this step, we finalize all our design decisions and ideas in ink on paper. We draft or procure all drawings and specifications the contractors/vendors need to execute the design. We also make purchase orders of all the items we need to purchase on your behalf to bring your vision to life.
6. Bidding & Purchasing – During this step we or our General Contractor send the drawings to bid, while walking you through the process at this stage. We’ll make all the soft goods and decorative fixtures purchases and coordinate deliveries. Items may be delivered and stored at our warehouse until you’re ready or they may be delivered directly to your home.
7. Project Monitoring – After we’ve awarded the project and all of the trades have been scheduled, we can observe and oversee the project in tandem with your contractor or builder during construction. We’ll schedule regular site visits to meet with all consultants/trades, check on installations, and always be there to keep the construction moving towards the final overall design.
8. Punch List – Once construction is heading into the end stages, we draft a punch list for all contractors and vendors; a document prepared near the end of a construction project listing work outstanding or not conforming to contract specifications. The work may include incomplete installations or incidental damage to existing finishes or materials. Any deficiencies are dealt with in a prompt and professional manner, and coordinated by us.
9. Styling – The final step is styling. When ready for us, we come to you with art, accessories, and accents… all of the items purchased earlier to make the project perfect. Our team will arrange installation of all the furniture, puff your pillows, style your shelves, and even place candles and fresh flowers so that you can start enjoying your new spaces once the trades have packed it all in and have finished on site.
10. Photography – Once everything is finished and your spaces look stunning… it’s time to capture the essence and ambiance of the project, come full circle. We book our photographer for a day of styling and shooting; client confidentiality and discretion is held in the highest regard. *Many of our projects have been featured in Canadian media sources and online
SIT BACK, TAKE IT ALL IN, AND FALL IN LOVE WITH YOUR NEW ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN EXPERIENCE
ALREADY HAVE A BUILDER or CONTRACTOR?
Perfect! We are more than able to join your project team and work with your established trades, but prefer to be brought in at project onset.